HotStick AC Detection Range
The red striped area of the HotStick AC Voltage Detector indicates the sensing section of the electronic circuitry. The HotStick has the unique capability to warn the user of the presence of high voltage from a safe distance. At what distance between the source and the sensing section a warning will occur depends on several factors.
The detection range depends primarily on:
- The setting of the mode switch on the HotStick AC Voltage Detector
- The magnitude of the AC voltage:
- The higher the voltage the earlier the warning.
- The size of the area which carries voltages:
- A vehicle on AC potential will be noticed earlier than the exposed blades of an AC outlet where conduit and outlet box are metal enclosures and grounded.
- The distance of the source and/or HotStick from shielding surfaces:
- Free hanging wires and the HotStick held above the ground will yield a greater distance than if wire and/or HotStick AC Voltage Detector are on wet soil or covered by wet leaves.
See specifications for typical detection ranges
|This unit is meant for professional use only. It is an aid in detecting unshielded, live wires and dangerous AC potentials. It is not a substitute for voltage measuring devices. Treat all wires as if they are voltage carrying. The unit will not detect DC voltages or AC voltages when conductors are fully enclosed and shielded as in a grounded metal conduit or solid metal enclosures.|